Wednesday, February 1, 2012

First Day on the Cotton Farm in Australia

So I woke up this morning at 6 am, which is something I haven't done for a very long time. In fact, since probably August of 2011 I don't believe I woken up even once that early. Usually I've been sleeping well past noon, and usually stay up until around 6 am before even going to sleep. The reason I'm saying this, is because I feel fucking fine. It wasn't even an issue to wake up early, and not only did I wake up early, but it's past 8 pm right now and I'm not even tired.



I really don't know why I wrote all about my sleep patterns because it's even boring to me, but I'm too lazy to highlight the paragraph and delete it. Anyway, the farm is bad ass. I really like it. I live in a barracks with seven other guys, and while they all speak English, there are times that I seriously have no idea what they are saying.


After flying into Moree in a twin-prop airplane, I was picked up by a guy named James. James is from New Zealand and is essentially showing me the in's and out's of how things are operating around here, which is cool because he's a bad ass. Also at the house is a guy from Northern Ireland, and the rest are all guys from Australia. There was apparently a "bloke"(which just means a dude, or a guy) who recently left, and I got his room, which is sweet because everyone here at the house, or "barracks" as they call it, has our own room.  There is a really young guy here who is only 16, and is probably the easiest to understand. He's really helpful too because sometimes people will ask me something and I'll have no idea what they said, and he'll rephrase it. For example, after work today, the Irish guy says to me, "What did you get in to today?" Well, come to find out, he was asking what I did while working today. Of course it's only been one day, but I would say when everyone is chatting i only understand about 20% of what is being said, which means if during a group conversation if I am asked a question there is a 80% chance I simply wont respond because I have no idea that I was asked a question, or I'll say "what?" They probably just think I have hearing problems.
The tractor shed


As far as everything else goes, things really aren't all that different over here. I mean, sure, they speak english that is hard to understand, they drive on the other side of the road and sit on the other side of the car, the stars are completely different (even though I haven't seen them because it's been raining and flooding since I got here), but other than that not much is different. TV seems exactly the same. Reality shows about cooking and repossessing cars, game shows, etc. The only difference is when the people talk on TV, they sound much better. On the TV I understand what everyone is saying because they dont seem to have such strong accents, or maybe they just talk slower. I dont know.
A john Deer Tractor


Oh, and I saw a Kangaroo. It was like 5 feet tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment