Sunday, September 9, 2012

Backpacking the East Coast of Australia - Town of 1770

I had no intention of visiting the town of 1770 when I initially embarked on my trip up the East Coast of Australia, but when I was booking my tickets for Fraser Island and Whitsunday I was convinced to come by the travel agent. He didn't get anything from it, so his motivation was purely out of love for the town that he "meant to visit for only a week and got stuck there for six months." He recommended the backpackers hostel called Cool Banana's, which as far as I'm concerned was the best recommendation I've ever had. The hostel is by far the best hostel I've been in since being in Australia. The town is small, and there is only an IGA grocery store and a gas station, or "servo," as it would be called by the locals. There are also quaint little restaurants random shops, but there are no commercial food chains, and no massive shopping chains like Wal-Mart or Home Depot. The beaches are amazing and it is in fact the last place that has surf on the way north (coastline north of here is blocked by the Great Barrier Reef).



From what I have been told, the town of 1770 in Queensland, Australia is the 2nd place where Captain Cook stopped after discovering Australia in the year 1770. Hence the name.


After arriving at Cool Banana's, I parked my van and was only charged $10 a night to use all the facilities, including the amazing kitchen, and sleep in my van. To get an 8 room dorm runs anywhere from $23 to $27 a night, which is still a great price.






At night there is a fire pit burning and all the residents sit around smoking cigarettes (or other things), and drinking while listening to music and chatting about the random things. Some people are heading south, some people are headed north, but everyone is usually amazing. Last night a Canadian guy drank half a bottle of Tequila without stopping. It was as though he was dying of thirst and needed water, though he was neither dying or needed water. About forty-five minutes later the alcohol bagan to work and he could hardly stand, which was expected. The whole ordeal was extremely impressive and I commended him for his ability.


Cool Banana's report  

Pros - Extremely Clean, Very Friendly staff, fun owner, very nice kitchen ($6 dollar nightly meals can be purchased, which are amazing homemade meals with fresh ingredients), walking distance to the beach and grocery store and bottle shop, bringing your own alcohol into the hostel is allowed and/or encouraged.

Cons - NONE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment