Sunday, January 15, 2012

Quick Introduction



The time has come to leave, and the new destination is Australia. The past couple years of life have consisted of traveling around America on on money that was made from two seasons of commercial salmon fishing in Alaska. After graduating college, Me and my younger brother Sam drove my car to Alaska and found work on boats. With the money we made we spent the year traveling to various places around the US. Sam, my younger brother, bought a van and has been living in it for the past two years (his blog can be found here). Currently he is in Thailand, where he is rock climbing.

After the first season of fishing, I spent the year traveling around the US, visiting cities such as Houston, New Orleans, Richmond, Washington D.C. Philadelphia, New York, Portland-Maine, Chicago, Salt Lake City, and Portland-Oregon. Then I went fishing for the second time, as did Sam.

After the second season of fishing I spent more than three months living in Seattle, where I applied for and was granted a visa for Australia. Then I flew to Hawaii where I was supposed to help a captain sail a boat from Oahu to San Francisco. What was supposed to be a three week trip turned into a ten day Hawaii vacation, where instead of sailing the boat to San Francisco, the captain was an alcoholic who slept. After the auto pilot broke on the boat, I had to sail it from Maui back to Oahu alone because the captain was drunk and vomiting all over. After thirty-six hours straight, I managed to get the boat back to the marina in Oahu and had the captain buy me a ticket back to Seattle. 

While all of this might come across as vague and short - it is. It's late right now. As I update things through my time in Australia, I'm sure i'll mention and post more pictures of 2010 and 2011. They were a good couple of years. But until then.

Maybe I'm looking for something. If I am I apparently haven't found it in America and my journey will now take me an entirely new place. I don't have agenda. I'm simply leaving and hoping that the chips fall in a place that makes things fun. Australia, I'm coming!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tyler Rockwell...nice job on this piece..
    Keep up the good work.
    Charles Dodgson

    ReplyDelete